On Internalizing

I have a tendency to internalize the mistakes that I make and beat myself up for them (and it gets pretty bad. Example: Dinner wasn't ready on time? Clearly I'm an unfit mother). Just as I was practicing this terrible habit the other day, a friend of mine gave me the best advice...
Photo: via gabytaangeles Tumblr
She told me to consider making small changes to make it easier for me to succeed at these daily tasks the way I'd like. Then, stop beating myself up and think about my little one's opinion of me, for that's all that really matters.

I know that beating myself up after making a mistake (K's hair is too long? I'm not keeping on what needs to be done for my child) or not getting something done when I want, the way I want doesn't make the situation better or help me achieve my goals. It actually zaps my energy and makes me a nervous wreck.

But to stop that self-sabotaging behavior and actually get to work making those small adjustments in my life is attainable. Take it a step further and consider the way that K looks at me and how he enjoys sharing his world with me? My outlook is already a whole lot brighter.

Do you internalize mishaps and mistakes? If so, how do you get past it?

Comments

Popular Posts