What's for Breakfast? -- Sweet Potato & Turkey Bacon Hash

Some nights I have really strange dreams, and for whatever reason those kickstart me to make a bountiful breakfast in the morning (if I have the time). Last night, I had several weird dreams, each of which I remember pretty vividly. SO, I decided to make a big fun breakfast...somehow it eases things for me :) (weird, I know).

Kaden ate gluten-free vegan egg-nog French toast and turkey bacon, which was fun and simple. Maybe I'll add that recipe here soon. Meanwhile, my mind immediately went to hash. I just happened to have two sweet potatoes (no yukons) and a couple of eggs hanging out in my fridge. I was also inspired by some of the spices from Isa Moskowitz's vegan Chipotle Sausage Hash from her cookbook Isa Does It. I sort of eyeball things, so feel free to add or take away a bit of the spices here. You could even switch the spice game up...totally up to you. Hence, the beauty of hash.

Sweet Potato & Turkey Bacon Hash

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large sweet potato, skinned and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
  • 6 slices of turkey bacon (or other breakfast meat/meat substitute)*
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon mild curry powder (unless you like spicy, then by all means amp up the heat)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced, if you'd like)
  • salt and pepper to taste
To Make:

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat, adding 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sweet potato and a large pinch of salt, stirring to coat with oil. Cover the pan, and flip the potatoes every couple of minutes until they are lightly browned on a few sides and still firm. Add the 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan again, and add the onions. Stir occasionally, keeping the pan uncovered, until the onions are softened (about 5 minutes or so). 

While the sweet potatoes and onions cook, preheat another medium sized skillet over medium-high heat, adding the turkey bacon*. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned on one side, and slip each piece. Cook for another 2 minutes or so, or until the other side has browned. Remove bacon from pan, and dice into small pieces. Set aside.

Once onions have softened in pan with sweet potatoes, add oregano, cilantro, curry powder, and garlic powder, stirring until spices are incorporated and are fragrant. Add diced bacon, stirring again until heated through. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
****

From here, I poached two eggs and added them on top of the hash, allowing the soft yolks to create a sort of sauce (and goodness, was it AWESOME). You can scramble or fry the eggs if you'd like, too. It would also be fabulous with some chopped chunks of avocado to freshen up the flavors and add another layer of texture. I'm kind of a sucker for avocados. 

I had a mimosa with mine, and some cinnamon toast! Told ya, these dreams really get me going! 

Hope you enjoy! <3

XO



Comments

Popular Posts